This recipe I got off Mum’s Net for banana cake thoroughly deserves the superlative in its description.
Not just because it only has 5 ingredients, but also because the cake still turns out great even if you misread the instructions like I did and condense the steps to just one: place ingredients in bowl and mix.
I am copying the ingredients and method below, with an additional note to self to buy an oven thermometer as my oven is most definitely way off – my cake only turned out fine as I’d set the temperature dial to slightly less than 150°C!
Remember, if I can bake, so can anyone!
- 8oz (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 6oz (3/4 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 big bananas
- 4oz (110g) butter, or margarine
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- Mash the bananas with a sturdy fork.
- Cream the butter and sugar together and mix in the eggs.
- Mix together the two yellow sludges you now have, and mix in the flour.
- Scrape into a loaf tin and bake for about 40-60 minutes.