I wanted something festive to bring up the road at Christmas, and found this cranberry and orange loaf recipe at All Recipes. I made some tweaks to the ingredients, and produced this fragrant, moist, lovely cake. The trial-batch was well received, so there’ll be more in the oven very soon!
Here’s the recipe I used. If you’d like nuts in the cake, do refer to the original recipe instead.
Cranberry and Orange Loaf
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1.5 cups fresh cranberries, halved
1/4 cup butter (about 57 g)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 170C, or 155C in a fan-assisted oven.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Stir in the halved cranberries.
- Cream the butter, sugar and egg. Sir in the orange juice, then add the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, and bake for 1hr.
- Let the cake cool before slicing.
- If desired, microwave some orange juice for 30 – 45s, then stir in 2 tsp sugar and a dusting of cinnamon powder. Brush or pour over cake to produce a beautiful glaze for extra flavour.